About the parish
Konjščina has been mentioned as a parish in the list of parishes since 1334. It was dedicated to St. Nikola. In the next preserved list from 1501. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. Dominic. It is the only st. Dominica in Croatia north of the Sava. Most historians agree that the place is named after the nobles of Konjski (first barons and then counts). Konjščina is an old place that is mentioned as Selnica, and this name refers to the manor.
Today’s parish church was built from 1729 to 1732. It belongs to the Baroque period. The builder of the church was Ivan Baisz from Maribor. The church was built as a single nave building with a four-nave sanctuary that ends with a flat wall. In the church are the tombstones of Otilia Horvath from 1851. Ivan N. Šandor Gjalski from 1856. age.
Sketches from the history of the parish
Our daily bread includes the knowledge (knowledge– knowledge) of things, circumstances and troubles that surround man in his earthly life. By knowing and knowing his surroundings, man enters into an eternal knowledge of communion with God, the source and richness of life.
Interpreting this goal of life with great education, speaking and example, St. Dominic, who was born around 1170, also realized this goal. in Calaroga, Spain. To This Dominican is dedicated the parish of Equestrian, which has the same goal – to direct you and me towards the richness of earthly and heavenly life.
Therefore, come with us, dear reader, to the history of the parish of Konjščina. We will not give you all the riches of the history of Konjščina, because neither are we able to prepare this cake, nor could it absorb everything at once. Therefore, a couple of berries of that cluster and a couple of grains prepared for this cake of the history of Konjščina.
Konjščina (Selnica) as a parish has been mentioned in the list of parishes since 1334. It was dedicated to St. Nikola. However, in the following preserved list of parishes from 1501, the church is dedicated to St. Peter. Dominic. It is the only parish of St. Dominic in Croatia north of the Sava River. Most historians agree that the place is named after the nobles of Konjski (first barons and then counts). Konjščina is therefore an old place that was first mentioned as Selnica (Selnica), and this name refers to the manor (estate), not a settlement. The only thing that provokes some reflection, ingeniousness, and perhaps requires research, is the writing of Adam Baltazar Krbavić krbavski in the book “the history of the table church of Zagreb” where he mentions an article from 1471. In 2001, it was written that the fortress konjščina is perhaps older than one thinks.
Here is an excerpt from Krčelić’s book: “There are many fortifications in Matija’s time, as shown in Article 29 of the Constitution. from 1471, in these parts of Slavonia were destroyed and demolished: Kneževec, today Kneginec near Varaždin blažo Husar (This fortress should be distinguished from the fort KHEENE, where Andrew II was once imprisoned). And according to the ancient registers of the tenth it is undeniable that KHEENe was located in Zagorje. It is more likely a fort that is now called Konjščina after the Konjski family, and was once called KHEENE, as it is concluded by the same registers, by considering, of course, the neighboring estates described along the Fort KHEENE. In addition, if we take into account the position, moats, the existing double walls of fort Konjščina, it is clear that this was once a more famous fortification and appropriate to keep Andrew II in it”*.
Well, that’s what I told you before – wait the historians will answer. The year is 1545. around this castle there was a battle with the Turks, and this is the time when the miraculous statue of the Mother of God is transferred from the chapels of St. Peter. Vida on Vinski Vrh in Marija Bistrica, so as not to fall into the hands of the Turks.
Church of st. Dominica in Konjščina was built in the 16th century. century, and upgraded in 1722. age. The rectory was built by Bishop Galjuf in 1777. age. The parish initially had these villages: Cirkveno Selo (Donja Konjščina), Gorenci (Gornja Konjščina), Krapina Selo, Jelovec, Bočaki, Bočadir, Kosovečko. Document 04. October 1789. villages were taken from the goldsmith’s parish: Lipovec, Turnišče, Brlekovo, and from the parish of Klimen and Batina in Belečka parish and included in the Parish of Konjščina. The church is 21. March 1861. A new organ has been acquired, and the remodeling of the interior of the church continues.
Interesting from the new history is the Order of the Royal Earth Government, Department of Home Affairs of the 24th Century. [Getty Images] Number 89/415, which determines that the parish should be called Donja Konjščina, while in schematisms before and after the parish is run only under the name Konjščina.
The list of pastors has existed since 1675. years to date. It is worth mentioning in this list Josip Hozian, who began to write the memorial, and Dr. Juraj Cenkić, who composed a new memorial, writing in it old events and describing widely recent events. At the time of the pastoring of Dr. Juraj Cenkić, many crucifixes were erected in the villages of the Kondish parish.
In 1936. Several confraternities were founded in the parish of Konjščina: the Confraternity of the Holy Rosary, the Confraternity of the Daughter of Mary and the Confraternity of Christian Doctrine. The establishment of the fraternities encouraged Dr. Cenkić to hold evenings at crosses in the villages on Sundays with the purpose of teaching parishioners in the faith. The evening service consisted of sermons, catechism readings and prayers.
The parish of Konjščin in ancient times did not have a chapel. In 1938. the “Chapel” in Galovac was blessed, built by Tomo Curiš, and 24. [Getty Images] In 1999, the Chapel of the Blessed Sacrament in Gornja Konjščina was blessed, at the initiative of teachers Ružica Radej and Štefica Dolenc. At the end of the war, this chapel was closed and reopened on 29 March. [Getty Images] in the house of Milan Biškup, which the parish bought for the chapel.
There are not many spiritual vocations in the parish. In the past, the famous priest Dr. Dinko Gudek and the Carmelite nun of the Divine Heart of Jesus, Marija Hanžek, č. with. Hubert.
Since the establishment of the independent state of Croatia, this parish and the surrounding parishes have been in equal religious life. Baptisms are performed, weddings are performed, they are buried with a church rite, some go to Mass on Sundays and holidays, some do not, predominantly all believers, which is seen in the blessings of houses and funerals. The pastor manages these occasions and tries to contact everyone, according to his abilities and abilities. They say that’s what St. Dominic did.
In the opinion of mr.sc. Branka Čička, Krčelič’s theory about fort Kheene as Konjščina should be taken with reserve (editor of the journal for culture:”Hrvatsko zagorje”, September 2006.)
Pastor: Rev. Mr. Eisenhower
Address: Tel: +385 (0)49 620 000
Phone: 049 465 302
E-mail address: email@example.com
Schedule of masses: Mass celebrations in the summer months: June, July, August are held on Sundays starting at 9 a.m., other Masses by appointment with the parish priest.